Greek American and Greek Australian Wills

Frequently Asked Questions

I am a (first, second or third) generation Greek American. I own real estate property in Greece. How can I leave this to my children?
By executing a Will including the specific property and the persons to inherit you (heirs).

I wish my spouse to live in my house in Greece (or receive the rents) through her lifetime. Can this be done?
Of course. Life Estate is a right that can be inherited.

How should such a Will be drafted?
According either to U.S. Law or to Greek Law. The most common types of Wills provided by Greek Law, are the following:


Types of Greek Wills:


  • Holographic Greek Will:

Written by hand and bearing the date and the signature. No expenses. It can be executed in any country. It should be delivered to a trustful person-preferably a specialized lawyer- who will undertake its probation to the Greek Court (Athens Court of First Instance), right after the deceased’s death.

  • Public Greek Will: 

Executed before a Public Notary in the presence of witnesses. Should it be executed before a U.S. Public Notary, it must bear the Note APOSTILE, provided by the Hague Convention (ratified both by the U.S. and Greece). Here again, it must be probated by the Greek Court, right after the deceased’s death.

  • Secret Greek Will

The testator delivers the document to the Notary Public, stating that the document consists of his last Will and testament

What happens if I do not execute a will for my property in Greece?
In case that a will is not found (intestate succession), the law arranges the line and the shares of the inheritance according to the following:

  • Husband / wife and children
  • Husband / wife, parents and brothers / sisters
  • Husband / wife, grandparents, their children and grandchildren
  • Husband / wife and great-grandparents
  • Husband / wife
  • The State

The procedure of the Probate and the Acceptance of an Estate in Greece, may be accomplished through Anyfanti & Partners Law Firm